This is a Birth Doula Training. You will start your journey to becoming a certified birth doula. You will learn how to be a knowledgeable, companion who will provide emotional and physical support, encouragement, and informational support for birthing people and their families.
Our course is valid for the Medicaid: DOULA pathway in Oregon (MEDICAID reimbursement) and is DONA International approved so your clients can use Mediacid to cover your services. You will be qualified as the first step towards doula certification.
- Birth Doula Training 40 hours (IN PERSON or LIVE VIRTUAL)
- Business of Being a Doula 1 hrs
- Cultural Competency for Doulas 6 hrs (ON DEMAND)
- Adopting Trauma Informed Care 6 hrs (ON DEMAND)
- Collaborative Professionalism Practice 12 hrs (ON DEMAND)
- HIPAA (ON DEMAND 1)
- Blood Born Pathogens/Oral Health Training (2 hrs) ON DEMAND
- Weekly Doula Talk Mentor Hour (LIVE VIRTUAL
Birth Doula Prerequisites
A Variety of Topics Included in Birth Doula Training in this 40 hour course curriculum
- Anatomy and physiology of labor, birth, maternal postpartum, neonatal transition, andbreastfeeding
- Labor coping strategies, comfort measures, and non-pharmacological techniques for painmanagement
- The reasons for procedures of, and risks and benefits of common medical interventions,medications, and Cesarean birth
- Emotional and psychosocial support of women and their support team
- Birth doula scope of practice, standards of practice, and basic ethical principle
- The role of the doula with members of the team
- Communication skills, including active listening, cross-cultural communication and inter-professional communication
- Self-advocacy and empowerment technique
- Breastfeeding support measures
- Postpartum support measures for the mother and baby relationship
- Perinatal mental health
- Family Adjustment and dynamics
- Evidence-informed educational and informational strategies
- Community resources referrals
- Professional conduct, including relationship boundaries and maintaining confidentialitySelf-Care
- 17. Historical context and health equity of supporting birthing people and more!!!!
For additional dates of our Birth Doula Trainings click here.
Visit the Mother Tree website for more scheduled trainings.